Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Yay, I'm back! Plus my thoughts on tv

We left our laptop at my parents on Sunday and when I tried to get on to our blog on our desktop found a monster virus that wouldn't let me use anything related to Google.  So I've spent the last few days trying to get rid of it (to no avail) and finally called my super hero brother-in-law who fixed it right up.  THANKS ROB! 

Since we've been married we've pretty much always had cable of some sort because everywhere we lived got terrible reception and it was cable or nothing.  And who in their right mind would give up tv entirely?  When we moved into our new house with  our significantly larger mortgage we decided not to have any extras (cable, internet, cell phones, etc) until we got used to paying our new bills and knew how far our money would stretch.  Our antenna actually works great here so getting the regular channels is not a problem but I got so used to having a DVR that it's just too annoying to plan my schedule around my tv shows, especially with kids who want this or that right this second and no pause button.  So it was a pretty natural transition for me to just stop watching tv altogether.  Instead of feeling like I'm missing all my favorite shows, I feel liberated.  I'm free of the tv and I really love it.  There are so many things I want/need to do in a day: go to work, run errands, feed my kids, play with my kids, read to my kids, teach my kids, bathe my kids, read my scriptures, exercise, clean the house, service, catch up with friends, visit with neighbors, work in the yard, read a book, scrapbook, etc.  I don't have enough time to do all the stuff I really want to do so why would I give up any of that precious time to watch tv?  I think most people would be surprised by their own reaction to no tv.  I didn't think I would feel this way.  I thought it would be a big sacrifice but it turns out that having no tv has been a great blessing for me.  Randy would NEVER agree with this.  He misses tv terribly, poor guy, so I guess to each their own.

2 comments:

  1. Nathan and I are addicted to TV, and coming from a therapist who deals with addiction that says a lot!I think that Nathan is more into it than I am, but we do have some that we "can't live without". However when we were in Thailand for a month and didn't watch it, it wasn't too bad. Don't mistake this however for us giving it up for good, when we returned we caught up and are right back to our usual TV (DVR) lovin lives. I am proud of you for doing other things with your time... so much discipline!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dalan is in love with the TV, he calls it his best friend! I like it too, but he likes likes it. I don't think I would ever win that battle. He could go without a lot of things before he ever gave up the TV.

    ReplyDelete