Sunday, December 5, 2010

40 Day Walk with Christ - Day 25 & 26

Read Helaman 15-16, 3 Nephi 1-4
Mark & Ponder 3 Nephi 11: 14-15
Scripture of the day: "The natural man receiveth not the things of Spirit of God; for they are foolishness unto Him; neither can He know them, because they are spiritually discerned" "But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man." (Corinthians 2: 14-15)
Thought for the day: "The high-minded man must care more for the truth than for what people think." (Aristotle)

So let's chat about faith for a second. The prophets tell the people about the sign of a day, a night, and a day without darkness for years and years.  Then it happens.  It's a big enough thing that you kind of have to believe because it would be pretty hard to rationalize away.  So almost everyone is converted.  But within just a few short years they are wicked again.  If you only believe because of signs and don't have faith without seeing a sign first...your conversion will be short-lived.  Look at Laman and Lemuel.  How many angels did they see?  It's hard to explain away an angel so they would repent and be a good for a short time and then be back to their evil ways.  Signs, no matter how great, do not usually result in a true conversion.  If you need a sign to believe you don't have what it takes to be truly converted.  Faith is believing in something you can't see.  Often the Lord doesn't give us what we ask for immediately because we need to exercise faith.  Faith helps us strengthen our testimonies and become truly converted.  It's hard to remember that when you've been going through a super long trial that seems like it will never end but the waiting is for our benefit.  Without faith we won't make it back.

Read 3 Nephi 5-10
Mark & Ponder 3 Nephi 11:29
Scripture of the day: "And I give unto you a commandment, that ye shall forsake all evil and cleve unto all good, that ye shall live by every word which proceedeth forth out of the mouth of God. For he will give unto the faithful line upon line, and precept upon precept..." (D&C 98: 11-12)
Thought for the day: "Goal setting should cause us to stretch as we make our way...Realize that God will judge you by the way you make use of all your possibilities. It is wise and proper to want to make the most of every opportunity, but don't quit or weep because of failure or disappointments. Break down big commitments into smaller ones that you can handle." (Marvin J Ashton)

I hate when I get behind because it takes so long to read more than one day's worth that my brain becomes jello at the end and stops working.  Thus...I have pretty much have nothing.  In 3 Nephi 6:14 it says "...the church was broken up in all the land save it were among a few of the Lamanites who were converted unto the true faith; and they would not depart form it, for they were firm, and steadfast, and immovable, willing with all diligence to keep the commandments of the Lord."  I feel like I'm one of those types of people.  I know without a doubt that this gospel is true and that Jesus Christ is my Savior.  I still struggle sometimes to do everything the Lord asks me to do but it isn't because I don't believe, it's just because I'm human.  I hope I can always be firm, steadfast and immovable.  I hope I will never let Satan get any control over me.  Yes, he still has some power to tempt me but hopefully as time goes on I can thwart him even in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment