Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Best Gifts

At this time of year I can't help but think about how much "stuff" we all have and I find myself becoming annoyed with gift-giving rather than finding joy in it as I should. Here are my issues with gifts:

1. Giving someone something just to give them something.  If it's not something they'll like or use it's just a waste of money.  And you can't tell me "it's the thought that counts" because gifts that fall into this category usually have little or no thought put into them.  I would much rather someone give me a lipsmacker that costs $1 (and is something anyone that knows me at all would know I love) than something I don't like or will never use that costs $20 or $100.  Don't give me crap out of obligation.  If you feel like you have to give me a present, please take a minute and think about something I might like or enjoy because that's the whole point of giving someone a present. 

2.  Sometimes number 1 is almost impossible because nowadays people just buy everything they want.  If they want it and don't have it yet it's because it costs too much money which usually takes it out of the running for someone else to give them anyway.  Why are we so focused on stuff that we actually have everything that we want?  I think there's something truly wrong with that.  (Granted there are people that aren't focused on material things and thus, they don't want anything, but I'm talking about the majority here)

3.  Asking for cash.  I am a super deal shopper.  Because I'm always shopping sales, looking for deals, using coupons, etc...we actually get to eat good food instead of just ramen and we get things we want that we otherwise couldn't afford.  I love finding presents for people that are a fantastic deal.  I can't even count the number of times I've been able to get a gift that someone really wanted but was way out of price range because I was able to get a good deal.  We're usually on a pretty tight budget so this is important for me.  If I spend $5 on every person on my list but get them all $20 presents I feel pretty good because I got them something nice without having to go into debt for Christmas.  But I feel like a schmuck if I just give you $5 for Christmas.  I probably shouldn't but I do.  I hate it when people tell me they only want cash.

4.  Too much focus on money.  I told Randy I don't want any more presents for Mother's Day that costs money.  He can go to the store and buy me something without even thinking about why we're celebrating Mother's day or why he's giving me a present.  It's easy to run to Walmart and pick up a chic flic and not even consider how much he appreciates me as his wife or the mother of our children.  But if he takes the time to make something or do some kind of special service for me, it means a lot more to me and shows me that he's thankful for me and what I do each day.  The first present I received after making this request was a scrapbook page of Morgan and him in a scrapbook frame and I LOVED it!  He took the time to take pictures with Morgan (which isn't easy when you have a tripod, a timer, and small child you want to smile), print the pictures, create the page, and put it in a frame.  I felt so much more love and appreciation from that gift than something he just went and bought at the store.  Not giving someone a present for Christmas or their birthday because you don't have money is a crock.  It doesn't show that you don't have money, it shows that you don't care enough about that person to sacrifice your time, talents, etc for them.  Gift giving shouldn't be about money, it should be about love and gratitude. 

Please don't think I'm all self-righteous up on my high horse.  I am grateful for all gifts I receive and I don't sit down and critique every gift I get (even though the above annoyances may sound like I do).  I just think that we, as a society, have lost the meaning of gift-giving and become all too casual and too worldly about it.  If it doesn't show someone you actually care about them, what's the point of giving them something? 

All that being said...two of my brothers (Derek & Brandon) gave Randy a fantastic gift for his birthday this year.  Randy worked his butt of all summer on the yard just in time for the cold to set in but he still hasn't finished the stupid rocks out in the park strip.  He's spent hours and hours out there and just dreads it.  So they decided to finish the rocks for him for his birthday.  Costs no money and is something Randy REALLY appreciated.  The perfect gift.




No comments:

Post a Comment