Wednesday, December 1, 2010

My new thoughts on being fat

So I'm gaining weight at an alarming rate.  I did HCG a few months ago, lost a bunch of weight from having my babies and am now proceeding to put it all back on.  Yet I just can't find the motivation to do anything about it.  I definitely need to start exercising if for no other reason than to be healthy but the idea of dieting again makes me want to crawl into a hole a die.  I LOVE food.  I don't know why I love it so much.  I don't why I have such an emotional attachment to it; I don't know why it makes me feel so warm and cozy inside.  When I'm dieting I crave food every single second of every single day.  It's a constant never-ending battle for me.  And it sucks.  So I've been trying to decide what I'm going to do about it and what I'm willing to do about it and I've come up with some fantastic justification for keeping my spare tire and not worrying about it.

The government has spent trillions of dollars we don't have and are now printing money to pay off their debt.  It doesn't matter what side of the isle you're on: that's inflation.  Our dollar is going to be worth less and less.  It's just a fact.  I don't know how bad it's going to get but I think it's possible that it's going to get pretty bad.  We're already on a budget.  We don't have cable or satellite.  We don't have cell phones.  We only have the internet for a short time because we got a great promotional deal and then it will be bye-bye too.  I use coupons and shop sales and yard sale all summer long.  We just don't have a ton of extra money.  So if prices of everything start going up and my paycheck doesn't, it's not going to be pretty.  I'm always working on our food storage but I've been even more zealous lately because of this impending inflation.  We finally got it all organized downstairs and I decided that, if necessary, my family could live on it for a year if we rationed it.

About a month ago canned fruit was on sale for a great price at Smiths.  So I've got two choices, Light peaches in pear juice, or regular peaches in heavy syrup (sugar).  Since I'm always worried about my weight and since it's not the best idea to load the boys up with sugar I chose the Light; just a natural instinct.  We came home and opened a can and they were disgusting.  So I went back and got some of the heavy syrup kind.  I was telling my mom about this and she made a good point: if it really comes to the point where we're living off our food storage and having to ration our food, double or triple the calories for the same price is a better way to go anyway.  Good point.  Then yesterday, Ridleys had hamburger on sale for a pretty good price but it's only 81% lean and I usually like to buy leaner hamburger but I thought, if we're rationing our food we're gonna want those extra calories anyway (our seal-a-meal will keep hamburger in the freezer for 2-3 years so no worries about my stocking up). 

Which leads me to my spare tire.  If I have an extra 20 pounds to lose when we have to start rationing food I'm going to last a lot longer than if I'm at my ideal weight.  Keeping that extra fat is the responsible thing to do.  I'm thinking of the future and planning ahead and trying to be prepared for whatever comes.  Maybe instead of trying to lose weight I should be more like mama bear getting ready for winter.  I'm not talking about the kind of extra weight that makes you unhealthy and raises your cholesterol and increases your risk for heart disease and diabetes...I'm just saying that maybe my spare tire isn't quite so bad.

1 comment:

  1. So, I discovered your blog today and I am so glad I did! The last 2 months I have decided to try exercising. We have netflix, so I love their on-demand exercise section. I have 2 favorites both from Self magazine. I have been doing these on a fairly regular basis and I haven't lost any weight. In fact, I've gained some. I try to justify that muscle weighs more than fat, but it sure doesn't feel like muscle. Although, I try not to eat too much, I refuse to diet. It is pure torture. Good luck...and Hello Holiday yummy's! Love you!

    ReplyDelete