Thursday, December 9, 2010

40 Day Walk with Christ - Days 29-30

Read 3 Nephi 22-30
Mark & Ponder Ether 12:6
Scripture of the day: "For behold, this is my work and my glory - to bring to pass the immorality and eternal life of man." (Moses 1:39)
Thought for the day: "The test of the church is the kind of men it produces." (Pres David O Mckay)

How cool would it be to sit at the feet of the Savior as he described all that has happened since the world began?  To have Him explain all those weird things in the Old Testament that make no sense to me.  And even more so, to have Him teach new stuff that we've never heard because we're too wicked and prideful.  I always look forward to General Conference and for whatever reason, always hope I will hear something new.  But conference after conference it's the same things over and over and over again.  Why?  Because we still can't even do those things right so why would the Lord give us more?  There are all sorts of glorious things waiting for us but we can't get our acts together enough to receive them.  I still struggle with reading my scriptures every day.  I still struggle with forgiveness and anger and charity and love..the list goes on and on.  When will we ever learn these lessons well enough to be given more blessings?  The people of Enoch surely did.  How did they do it?

Read 4 Nephi & Mormon 1-8
Mark & Ponder Ether 12:27
Scripture of the day: "He that is ordained of God and sent forth, the same is appointed to be the greatest, notwithstanding he is the least and the servant of all. Wherefore, he is possessor of all things; for all things are subject unto him, bot in heaven and on the earth, the life and the light, the Spirit and the power, sent forth by the will of the father through Jesus Christ, his son. but no man is possessor of all things except he be purified and cleansed from all sin." (D&C 50: 26-28)
Thought for the day: "We can press forward with hope in Christ, like green shoots growing upward toward the sun, only if we have within us the peace and stillness that are the rich seedbed of such growth and progress." (Eloise Bell)

How did Mormon and Moroni live their whole lives surrounded by such wickedness being the only two people that were righteous and believed in Jesus Christ.  It is truly remarkable.  I don't know where the source of this so it could be totally untrue but I've heard throughout my life that the evil in the last days will be worse than anytime on the face of the earth.  If that is so, I wonder if the prophets who saw our day or those who are watching from the other side of the veil think the same thing about us.  Do they wonder how we can live righteously and follow the commandments with all the evil that surrounds us?  Sometimes I look at the world and see wickedness abounding; other times I look at the world and see how much good there is.  So I'm not really sure how wicked we are today or how much more wicked we will become before the end.  It would be pretty cool though if they do look at us and think "wow, how do they do it?"  Sometimes I feel like I am doing a terrible job at living the gospel or at being a good mom, or whatever it is...but sometimes our own perspective isn't the most reliable.  It just makes me wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment