Wednesday, November 10, 2010

40 Day Walk with Christ - Day 1

So my Relief Society challenged us to do a 40 Day Walk with Christ in preparation for the season to help us focus on the Savior during the days leading up to Christmas. In essence, I have to read the Book of Mormon in 40 days.  They also challenged us to write in a journal while we did this so I decided to just put it on my blog instead since I plan on printing this as my family journal. 

I've read the Book of Mormon in less than 40 days before but at the time I didn't have any kids.  So I think this is going to be quite challenging but so is everything that's worth doing.  Along with the reading for everyday is a mark & ponder scripture, a scripture of the day, and a thought for the day.  I'll record those first (so I have it for future reference if I want to do it again) and then add my thoughts on the reading.  Since this is a Walk with Christ I'm going to focus my thoughts on the Savior and how to strengthen my relationship with Him.

I actually just re-started the Book of Mormon a while ago and don't want to start over again so I'm starting on Day 7 in the reading and will finish up with 1st Nephi at the end (if I don't get behind).

Read 2 Nephi 13-21
Mark and Ponder 2 Nephi 9:28-29
Scripture of the Day: "...they had waxed strong in the knowledge of the truth; for they were men of a sound understanding and they searched the scriptures diligently, that they might know the word of God. But this is not all; they had given themselves to much prayer, and fasting; therefore they had the spirit of prophesy, and the spirit of revelation, and when they taught, they taught with power and authority of God." (Alma 17: 2-3)
Thought for the day: "The time is coming when no man or woman will be able to endure on borrowed light.  each will have to be guided by light within himself. If you do not have it, you will not stand." (Pres Harold B Lee)

The reading today is Isaiah chapters which I really struggle with but here a few things that stuck out to me.  Isaiah speaks a lot of about the last days and what the world will be like at that time.  A lot of the signs of the times are not very pleasant and don't sound like very much fun to live through.  In 2 Nephi 18:13-14 it says "Sanctify the Lord of Hosts himself, and let Him be your fear, and let Him be your dread. And He shall be for a sanctuary..."  Sometimes I worry about the things going on the world and what's going to happen to my family as it gets worse.  It's so easy to let fear and dread of the future pull you down into despair.  Yet, having fear or dread doesn't do anything to change what's coming.  How much better to let the Savior take your fear and dread on Himself so you don't need to be worry about it.  He really can be a sanctuary from the world if we give those things to Him and let His peace fill our lives. 

2 Nephi 19:6 "For unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given; and the government shall be upon His shoulder; and His name shall be called, Wonderful, Counselor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace."  The Savior has MANY names in the scriptures and I think it's because He is so many things to us.  Sometimes He strengthens us, sometimes He comforts us, sometimes He holds us up, sometimes He just listens as we pour out our hearts, sometimes He gives us peace, sometimes He encourages us to action...you get the point.  He is the perfect friend because we can turn to Him for anything and everything we need.

Multiple times throughout these chapters is the phrase "His hand is stretched out still."  No matter what we choices we make He is ALWAYS there for us.  He will always accept us back.  He will always listen to us.  He will always be there for us.  The Savior's love is not contingent upon our actions.  His blessings may be, His judgements may be, but His love is not.  It's never too late.  He is always waiting with open arms.  What a comforting thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment